◘ C H U M A ◘ [wealthy]
Trade beads were once used in Africa for currency and as a sign of social status and wealth. They were often traded for goods, services, and slaves.
The Blue Green, Creamy White, and Red Coral color beads I use to make my Chuma Leather Bracelets are over 100 years old and have the most interesting character; aged and rugged with a beautiful patina and because they were handmade, no two beads are alike. The Black Onyx beads I use are vintage and rare Glass Pony Beads from India - hard to find in this rich, beautiful color. They are not as aged and rugged looking as the other three colors but there's something mysteriously wonderful and sensual about these black beads. The Camel Bone Beads are individually carved with Chevron style lines and were handmade in Gambia, Africa. They have an aged appearance that is stunning. The Black Ebony beads are vintage French trade beads from before 2000. They were made in Europe and traded in Africa and have a beautiful shiny patina with some age and pitting.
- An original and unisex design.
- Antique African Trade Beads handmade over 100 years ago ~ no two beads are alike and each have a rich history.
- Strung by hand on a thick and sturdy 2 mm round leather cord doubled up for durability and style.
- Hand-knotted on each side of each bead so beads will stay secure.
- Sliding leather knot and Ethiopian bead closure so Chuma fully and easily adjusts to your wrist size.
- Available colors of African Trade Beads: Blue Green, Creamy White, Red Coral, Black Onyx, Mahogany Brown, Camel Bone, and Black Ebony.
- Available leather cord colors: Antique Brown or Black.
- One size.
- Stack multiple Chumas together or with your favorite bracelets
- Artfully assembled ~ Beautifully crafted ~ Heirloom Quality